[NTLK] Finding the mac address for an ethernet card on the Newton?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 13:32:00 PST

Here's a new one for me. Through some miracle, I have suddenly become the
proud owner of two 3Com 589D cards, and one is now firmly ensconsed in my
Newton. I need to extract it's MAC address to give to my internet provider.
I don't really want to disconnect my poor wife, who has been waiting a whole
week to finally connect herself to the internet, and I cannot insert this
card into my computer without risking corrupting my system file, so I
thought I would toss it into my Newton, but once I did that, I couldn't
figure out how to find the crazy address! Is there a tool, or am I too blind
to see the obvious that is in front of my fact. Thanks for any help you
might give. :-)

Oh, and a BIG thanks to everybody who sent me information on using these
cards with my computers! I'm still ecstatic that I found these things.

The story is this. Although I had looked before, I could find no local
stores or anything that had these cards. Last night, around 10pm, I thought
I would try once again on the Polish Allegro auction site, and see what was
there. I found a separate PCMCIA category I hadn't seen before, and there
was a BIN auction with 40 of these things for a radically awesome price. I
bought two. :-) To make it even better, the person selling the cards lives
about 5 km from us! I ran over there this afternoon, and picked them up. I
finally got around to installing them, and using the software that had been
emailed me, I was able to get both my wife's PB 1400 and my Newton up and
running in minutes! What a week this has been! :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland