Re: [NTLK] A question about keyboards and dongles

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 01:50:48 PST

Daniel, you're the guy! Your web site here
http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/minidin.htm made installing my mini-din
8 so much easier. Still very difficult, but much easier than soldering on
the chip. I probably should have used thinner wire (than ethernet
cable). Pity I've only used it twice- once to upload NIE, and the other
time to discover how slow it was.

Another quick question: Does anything use the RS422 stuff, or does
everything (communication with mac, keyboard etc) just use the 5 wires for
RS232. That's all I've installed so far, as the extra three wires are
quite tough.

Cheers,
Damien

At 03:15 16-02-2003 +0100, you wrote:

>Yes, it's possible to do. Not very difficult if you're handy with a
>soldering iron. I can send you some instructions if you want. If you want
>to send the parts to Spain, I could do it for you too.
>
>D.

>--
>I have a keyboard for my Newtons, but both are UMP2k's, so I really have no
>need for the mini-din plug on my keyboard. Is it possible to "cannibalize"
>a spare dongle to give the keyboard a flat Newton-style plug?
>--
>
>--
>This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
>List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html