Re: [NTLK] LocalTalk <=> EtherNet

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 23:40:56 PST

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 09:03 PM, Suannp_at_aol.com wrote:

> Sounds interesting... I read it, but I don't really understand it.
> Could
> someone please explain how you can use an old MAC to do this? How
> would this
> function with a Newton? I have an LCIII and a Classic sitting in a
> closet?

you need to add ethernet to begin with...

Then you use software to create a bridge from the ethernet to the
localtalk...

There are several software options. Apple provided a localtalk bridge
software which is bidirectional, and a Laserwriter bridge control panel
(for hooking ethernets to older printers)which I don't think would work.

There is also Apple Internet Router which runs on older MacOS and can
route MacIP over ethernet.

There is also IPnetrouter which can route between Ethernet and
localtalk, but doesn't provide the auto configure of MacIP clients, so
they need to be set manually.

There is also the Apple IP gateway software, which I have used to hook
Newton up to a TCP/IP network before using MacIP

Anyhow, there probably are other options too....

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html