Re: [NTLK] Help! - Bad Package?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 18:30:13 PST

on 05/02/03 20:46, Brian McMillan at brianmcmillan_at_mac.com wrote:

> I have a 32 MB ATA compact flash card with ~ 8MB of content on two
> partitions and I am using RC4 of the ATA driver software on a MP2100.
> The problem is that when the card is mounted and begins to load
> packages, it appears that one of the packages causes the Newt to crash
> and it resets and starts over. Here is what I have done:
> - Restarted without the CF card (OK)
> - Restart w/ partition 2 packages on (OK)
> - Restarted w/ CF card extensions off (OK)
> - Power drain restart w/ CF Card (Crash)
> - Deep Reset w/ CF card (Crash)
>
> I *Really* don't want to repartition this card and start over. It looks
> like if I could remove the offending package(s), I could at least get
> another back up of my Notes Soup. As an alternative, does anyone have
> any ideas on how I could pull that one soup off?

Do a reset, then immediately apply the pen on the left hand side of the
screen about 1/2" from the left edge and about halfway vertically. If you're
quick enough and put it at the right place, you should get a dialog asking
if you want to activate the packages on the internal store. I'd suggest you
say yes, but then put back the pen there and hold it until you get a second
dialog for your card. Then, I would say no. This way, you should have access
to the card, but no package on it will activate to cause the error.

-Laurent.

Evil Empire n.: [from Ronald Reagan's famous characterization of the
communist Soviet Union] Formerly IBM,now Microsoft. Functionally, the
company most hackers love to hate at any given time. Hackers like to see
themselves as romantic rebels against the Evil Empire, and frequently adopt
this role to the point of ascribing rather more power and malice to the
Empire than it actually has. See also Borg and search for Evil Empire pages
on the Web.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html