Re: [NTLK] Newton & GPS - Haicom Hi-303e

From: Michael Briley (mike_at_maxwell.phys.uwosh.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 08:43:23 PST

Greg,

Yeah, that all took a few minutes to figure out, but the hardest part
was
dumping the map as a 4-bit (16 grey) pict resource. Apparently Photoshop
CS doesn't think anyone will ever need to do this again. I had to reload
an older copy of Photoshop onto an OS 9 box and make the map there.
The map itself is a series of copy-paste grabs from Route 66 2004 USA,
which worked well because it also provided the lat/long reference points
that could be associated with x/y pixel locations. There's a program
provided by the author that will then calculate the necessary
coefficients
to plug into the map package source. This was just a single large
(2588x3266)
flat map, but the extension to map tiles and other projections looked
straight forward enough.

I can't get to it today, but if it would help other Newton folks, I'll
try and write up some instructions showing what got put where and what
it means when assembling a map.

Cheers,
-Mike

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html