Re: [NTLK] Reset question

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 06:10:07 PST

>Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:39:56 +0100
>From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>

>on 12/27/03 12:46 AM, doppler at roman_at_pixell.net wrote:

> > so, the morale is - always try to unmount the card before resetting with the
> > hardware button on the back of the newt!

>Eh what??? I've never heard this before...
>Or are you all talking about a hard reset, or what we like to call a "brain
>wipe"? I've done hundreds of simple resets with cards in, from a 120 right
>on up to a 2100, and never experienced a single problem. Yet, it is know
>that doing a brain wipe with a card in can and probably will damage a card.
>One should always eject a card before doing a brain wipe which will wipe all
>data from a Newton. But the two aren't the same thing....

I always unmount my cards before softresetting the Newt. Once I had a ... what, 20MB... card, and it was most sensitive to resets. Not good. I never heard about any problems with small cards though. Since I had to evacuate data to cards by now (so many notes, no little space) I tend to be very careful about the issue.

Oliver :)

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html