Re: [NTLK] Followup to Houston Chronicle Story

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 08:47:57 PST

on 12/23/03 12:03 PM, Len Cole at leonard.cole_at_verizon.net wrote:

> Granted, but I still fail to see how suitcase-sized monsters had any influence
> whatsoever in how computers are used in the home. Portables or laptops have
> not made their way into homes in the US in huge numbers yet, and many of them
> are dual use, meaning they travel back and forth between home and work.
>
> If they had received greater acceptance, then we'd all be using small laptop
> or minitel-type devices which didn't take up the whole top of a desk or table,
> and which we could stow in a drawer when we weren't using them.

You know, I fail to realize how your first steps as a baby had any influence
on your learning to walk.... You could have just skipped them, and started
walking... ;-)

And if you want any kind of idea of the impact of portable computers, just
ask Apple to discontinue selling theirs! The largest part of their market
today is portables. The desktop arena is basically stagnant, yet the
portable sector is their cash cow... And still growing. Those old suitcases
broke the ground in the sense that they showed people what was possible. The
truth is, most did just what my Pismo (Apple g3 PowerBook 2000 model with
Firewire) does for me today. I carry it to work and to home again. In fact,
my battery died a couple months ago, but I still haven't bought a new one to
replace it. I could do it with an older luggable, but prefer the lighter
weight that the Pismo provides. :-)

All which brings me back to my main point. Rather than ranking these
computers, he should have simply listed them chronologically... Looked at

Fun discussion...

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland