[NTLK] Bluetooth vs. WiFi Speed

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 13:04:27 PST

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:16:11 +0100, Robert Benschop wrote:
> You just really surprised me there, is Bluetooth about as fast as en
> Ethernet connection (which Wifi basically is, isn't it?)

Theoretically WiFi is much faster. But in real world tests, I got about
20-30k/sec over Ethernet when doing nothing with the data, and less
(maybe 10-12k/sec on average) if the data has to be actually processed
(e.g. saved, parsed or played as an MP3 stream). WiFi is pretty much
the same.

This might be improved by talking to the Ethernet card directly, but
that makes programming much more difficult.

Bluetooth on the Newton will probably have a maximum raw speed of
20k/sec. I had Blunt at some point in a state where I got about
10-15k/sec (i.e. about half the speed of a comparable Ethernet
connection). It's at the moment a lot lower for OBEX because I'm
missing some part of the Bluetooth stack which would make more
efficient use of the data packets.

In the end, a good real world test is using SimpleMail over Ethernet or
over Bluetooth via a desktop. Bluetooth is slower but not as much as I
would be bothered, maybe half the speed. And for Courier, one you hit
web sites which use gzip compression, speed goes up ten times ;)
Wireless MP3 streaming however looks problematic.

The bottleneck on the Newton is clearly the application layer, not the
network layer.

> And lower power consumption on top of that, I start to see why you
> busted your balls for this.

And the prospect of having an internal module, not taking up any of the
PCMCIA slots or serial ports (besides the unused internal slot) :)

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html