[NTLK] The Newton Manifesto (was: Newton Mentioned (Badly) in MacAddict)

From: Doug Parker (doug_at_ispinn.com)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 07:38:25 PST

                            The Newton Manifesto
                            --------------------

It's comfortable to reminisce, but let's harness this energy and put it to
use. I have a vision. Let's accomplish something better. I'm suggesting an
effort to counter bad Newton press (BNP) with a focused, NTLK community
response.

An NTLK marketing and media department would be a nice thing to have. (-;

Since we don't have one, since we've all got day jobs, and since we're spread
out, I'd like to suggest setting up a wikiwiki page to hold some BNP
boilerplate replies that we mold just for these types of occasions.

We're passionate about our Newts. Most of us find BNP both irritating and
motivating. So, when it appears, head over to the wikiwiki. Come to a
consensus on which previous entry to use, massage it, and send it in direct
reply to the article. If needed, create a new boilerplate entry and send that
one. The wikiwiki becomes our marketing and media department for our
community.

BNP from CNN? Oh, reply with boilerplate #3.

BNP on slashdot? Use #5 for that one.

BNP from MacAddict? Boys and girls, it's time for a new entry.

MacAddict is leaving a bad taste in their reader's mouths surrounding our
beloved Newts. They're not leveraged nor making any effort to counteract their
bad press. They're erroneously using earlier Newton models to describe the
accuracy and functionality of the later, more successful 130 and 2x00 models,
and perpetuating incorrect facts and false rumors. Nobody's doing damage
control.

What kind of Newton interest is MacAddict generating in its readers? Many of
their readers are sophisticated enough to be using a Newton, but surely won't
support or touch the platform because of MacAddict's misinformation. If we
respond with fresh, supportive, and accurate information, our community might
gain many new converts. We will certainly increase the odds of expanding our
community more by replying to BNP than by merely sitting back and reminiscing.
We will also quash the likelihood of future BNP. This is a Good Thing(R).

Let's get organized. Let's quit reminiscing to the choir. Imagine MacAddict's
surprise when they receive a powerful, positive, accurate reply from a
passionate and supportive 2,000-member user community for a computer that was
discontinued over six years ago. What will their readers think *then*?

As the BNP wikiwiki page grows, if it grows, it will slowly become a
compendium, a treasure chest of Newton facts and stories. It will become
easier and easier to write replies, as Newton wisdom, facts, and stories
accumulate.

Peace,

Doug Parker

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html