[NTLK] MP 120 Problem

From: Richard Connamacher (rich_at_indieimage.com)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 12:56:37 PDT

Hey all, I posted this a while back but haven't gotten any response so
here's another try.

I have an MP 120 that I forgot my PIN for. It was without power for
around five or six years, then when I put four new AA batteries in it
about a month ago, it came up and wanted my old PIN to get in, which I
have long forgotten. I really don't want to do a hard reset, so my only
other option is trying to break in to it.

Anyone know any way to break into a messagepad without knowing the PIN?
A friend of mine suggested that we could attach a computer to it over
the serial port, write a custom program to make the computer masquerade
as a keyboard, and have it continuously send PIN numbers to it until it
figures out the right one. That'll be a bit of work, since I don't have
a keyboard and don't know what the protocol is, or if you can even use
a keyboard to enter the PIN.

The other thing he suggested is possibly opening it up and attaching a
ROM reader directly to the memory chip and trying to extract the PIN
that way, but that's very risky.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do it?

Thanks,
Richard Connamacher