Re: [NTLK] OT lack of Apple recognition

From: RossO (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 10:00:38 PDT

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 07:13 AM, Mark Rollins wrote:

> FireWire history (the Cliff Notes version)
> Apple invents FireWire

        ... around 1995.

> Apple presents FireWire to IEEE as a standard
> IEEE ratifies FireWire as global standard,

        ... under the name IEEE1394. Apple requires manufacturers to purchase
a license to use the brand name "Firewire". (I think this may have been
a 'per-sku' fee.)

> FireWire adopted globally

        ... for Digital Video and on Macs to replace SCSI.

> Sony marketspeak translates the word "FireWire" to "iLink"

        ... in order to avoid purchasing a license to use the brand name
"Firewire".

> IEEE reestablishes "FireWire" as THE ONLY name to use

        ... after Apple gets a clue and drops the brand name licensing fee.

        Apple wins an Academy Award for Firewire.

        Sony continues to use the name iLink because they're already
established it as a brand.

(This is another situation where Apple's beancounting accountants could
see the forest for the trees. Same thing with licensing the NewtonOS.)

...Ross...

(Not that I have any feelings about this...) :)

--
What should I do with my life?
          "Agitate. Agitate, Agitate." - Frederick Douglass