Re: [NTLK] temperature

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 00:39:24 PDT

In principle I can see two ways:
1) there is an audio input on the Newton Interconnect Port. If you condition
the sensor (thermistor) signal such that you gat a voltage between 0 V and
2V max for the desired temperature range you could connect that to the audio
input of the Newt. I do not know how good the A/D converter is accessible
from a software point of view. But in any case some software is necessary to
read the A/D converter output and translate it into a temperature reading,
put time stamps on it and save it.
2) the other solution I can see is the use of the serial interface of the
Newt.
There are several electronic thermometers that provide a serial output or
you can use a digital multimeter with serial output or there are even
semiconductor sensors providing a serial output.
The programming task is reduced in this case to programming of the serial
port, collecting, time stamping and saving the data.
But I am not aware of any software doing this.
In principle you can start with a simple Terminal program, but in this case
time stampig and saving are not supported.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html