Re: [NTLK] eMate stuff

From: James Elliott (james.elliott_at_newted.org)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 16:50:50 PDT

The flat-looking port of which you speak is the Newton Interconnect=20
Port. It has serial, power, and audio running through it. You don't=20
really need to pay attention to it since the eMate also has normal=20
serial. And yes, the OS is in ROM. You can just press the reset=20
button and it won't erase anything. A hard reset will erase the=20
flash memory. You can connect it to your Mac via a serial cable (or=20
ethernet if you get a card, but you've to install drivers first) and=20
Newton Connection Utilities on the Mac=20
(http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/connection_utils/ForMac/NewtonConnecti=20
onUtilities/). The eMate has the software for that in ROM.

-James

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html