Re: [NTLK] GPS Map library

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 03:30:50 PDT

On m=E5ndag, aug 4, 2003, at 23:26 Europe/Stockholm,=20
newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> From: "Johannes Wolf" <mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] GPS Map library
> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:04:12 +0200
>
> Be aware that GPS Map does NOT use VECTORIZED Maps.
> The Maps are on pixel basis and therefore the zoom function is not=20
> really
> perfect.

not quite. according to the intro text at=20
http://www.segelflug.de/gps/Intro_e.html , GPS Map should be able to=20
chew not only vectorized and pixel-based maps, but also vectorized maps=20=

with embedded graphical objects that are picture based.

the following is taken from their web site:

"Most so called "moving map" systems (including GPS receivers with this=20=

feature) are based on the Jeppessen database or a clone and show very=20
simple graphics composed of some lines and points only.

Compared to that GPS Map supports both scanned bitmap type maps and=20
vector based maps, and supports all popular geographic map projection=20
models.

Now you can load your preferred paper maps such as ICAO, approaching or=20=

airport maps with all details into GPS Map, and even draw your own=20
vector based maps within a CAD application.

Vector maps (starting with version 1.5) even support a mixture of=20
bitmap and vectors, e.g. for drawing land shapes as vectors into a=20
nautical map and inserting harbours or islands as bitmaps."

----
i need to tell that i still havent received my GPS device, so i still=20
havent tried to create maps for the newton. when i will have my GPS=20
receiver, i will definitely try to vectorize the maps
/ roman
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html