Re: [NTLK] Correcting Newton temperature

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 23:54:17 PDT

Actually the Newt is measuring two temperatures at different locations:
one on the back of the LCD display
(very useful to adjust the contrast automatically using autoLCD)
one inside the rechargeable battery pack.
Since the temperature of the battery pack is strongly dependent on the
actual battery status (charging/discharging)this reading does not directly
reflect the ambient temperature.
The LCD display has a certain heat capacity, therefore in theory the
temperature reading of the LCD display should be slightly below ambient (in
case the Newt is brought from colder to warmer environment) or above ambient
(in case the Newt is brought back into a colder environment)
If the Newt is for a long time in the same environment and the ambient temp
is not changing much the LCD temperature should pretty good reflect the
ambient temperature.
In case the LCD temperature has a different reading this might be a
calibration issue.
Usually teh thermistor used for sensing the temp is part of a voltage
divider. This circuit can be calibrated. Tolerances of the resistor and the
thermistor may cause incorrect temperature readings.
Since we do not know the circuit diagram of the Newt this is all I can tell
so far to the hardware.
Another aspect is software. Of course you can perform a correction in
software. I do not know how this is realised in the Newt, maybe there is a
parameter that can be changed.
But I assume that this is deep down in the NOS.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html