Re: [NTLK] GPS Map library

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 07:04:12 PDT

I managed to compile my own maps for GPS Map.
There is a PDF manual, but I do have it in german only.
What you also need is the Newton Toolkit.

Be aware that GPS Map does NOT use VECTORIZED Maps.
The Maps are on pixel basis and therefore the zoom function is not really
perfect.
But there is a much better feature of GPS Map: it is able to switch
automatically between Maps and especially between Maps covering the same
area but with different resolution.
So if you enter a city and you have a Map of this city, GPS Map will switch
to the better resolution Map automatically.

So you do not need to vectorize a Map - a high quality (monochrome) scan is
sufficient!
The main factor is to have a scan as large as possible (A2 would be
perfect).
But of course you are free to produce a puzzle from single smaller scans.
You can also create a set of smaller Maps that GPS Map can switch between.
(I created a set of 6 Maps + 4 City Maps for the Netherlands)

Cheers
Johannes