Re: [NTLK] emate RAM size

From: Matt Janeczek (MJJ14_at_aol.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 11:37:34 PDT

 Did Apple ever make an "official" RAM upgrade for the eMate or did Steve
come in and kill it before something could be released?
Victor Rehorst wrote:

Bertram Zinner wrote:

>I have bought two emates. One of them has 900Kbytes RAM and the other
>has 3.8Mbytes of RAM. My understanding was that emates usually have
>3Mbytes of RAM. What would cause an emate to have only 900Kbytes of RAM?
>Also, does it mean that I have a memory card in the other emate?

cf. "The big table of hardware" in the FAQ:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIA1d[1]

By default the eMate has 1MB of RAM and 2MB of Flash storage. There were a
few different memory upgrades made by third-parties that upgrade the eMate
4MB of RAM and 4MB of flash storage.

To check, remove the cover on the bottom of your eMate. You'll see the
battery pack and then two slot connectors below it. One of these is for the

ROM card (don't remove it!). The other is for a memory upgrade. If both
slots are filled then you have an upgraded eMate.

--
Victor Rehorst - victor_at_newtontalk.net[2] - chuma_at_chuma.org[3]
NewtonTalk list administrator - http://www.newtontalk.net[4]
This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/[5] for all
inquiries
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html[6]