Re: [NTLK] Couldn't resolve IP address

From: Paul Vaughan (paulsvaughan_at_yahoo.com.au)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 21:15:36 PDT

Hi Christian,

Are you connecting the Mac through a router, directly
to a dial up modem, or to a cable modem?

If you are connecting directly to a cable modem, you
should 'configure' using DHCP, connect your Newton to
the modem using ethernet, and then turn the modem off
for about 10-15 seconds. When you turn the modem back
on, the Domain Name Server should automatically detect
the Newton. But I have found that using DHCP doesn't
always work, and IP addresses need to be entered
manually. Normally, the gateway IP address and the DNS
address should be the same, as the modem gets the DNS
address automatically, thus acting like an extension
of the ISP.

The following may help if you are using a router,
otherwise, it may just help explain the terms a bit.
Gateway IP (often called router address) is the
address of the device your Mac, or Newton, is actually
connected to, and DNS/Name Server address is the IP of
the device which allows you to find sites on the
Internet. In other words, DNS, or Domain Name Server,
is the ISP's machine which resolves web site names
into actual web addresses. As I mentioned before, most
modems and routers are set up to get the DNS address
automatically from the ISP. But, if you need to set
it, set it to the same as for gateway.

In my setup, 3 computers are connected to a router by
ethernet, and the router is then connected via
ethernet to a cable modem.

My router acts as both the gateway and the Domain Name
Server. In other words, the router gives each computer
connected to it an individual IP address, and also
automatically gets the DNS IP address of the ISP I am
using from the modem.

In order to get the IP addresses manually, you will
probably need to access the router using a web
browser. The IP address of the router should be in the
manual it came with.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have
further questions.

Paul

--- Christian Burk <cmburk75_at_mac.com> wrote: > Thanks
Scotty,

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html