Re: [NTLK] Differences between 2100 and upgraded 2000?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 11:23:38 PDT

Quoting Edward Humes <ehumes_at_mac.com>:

> On a related note, does anyone know if it is safe to do a full restore
> on a 2000 just upgraded (motherboard and OS) to 2001 equivalency by J&K
> sales? The back up files I would restore (packages,drivers,
> preferences, settings, via NCU) are from a non-upgraded 2000. Or does
> the backup write over the relevant portions of the OS, too? Does full
> backup/full restore include hwr "learning" of owner's writing style?

Restoring a 2000's backup onto a 2100 will have no ill effects. Only
packages, soup data, and system configuration settings are backed up, not OS
patches or anything like that. Your HWR learning will also be restored - it's
stored along with your user preferences.

"There's nothing, nothing better than / that small computer with a pen.
Because one thing I can't abide / Hardware that won't let me decide." -FG
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html