Re: [NTLK] Oronico Cards Question

From: Nancy Haitz (nhaitz_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 19:26:18 PDT

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 09:53 PM, Will Ross wrote:

> On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 06:27 PM, Nancy Haitz wrote:
>
>> Nancy wrote:
>>
>> snip...
>> Many of your have raved about the Lucent Orinoco Gold and Silver
>> cards.
>> And, it supports the WEP features of our router on the Newton. I am
>> considering getting one. From what I can tell, this card is still
>> being made and sold new at retail, and used on ebay. Could someone
>> tell me if the new card currently being sold at MicroWarehouse (and
>> others) is the card I want for the Newton.
>>
> Will wrote:
> Get a Silver of that card and upgrade it to a gold with this site if
> you can: AAARRRRGGGGHHHH! can't find the site. Summary of how to do it
> on a Mac running Mac OS 9:
> 1. Download the latest Airport Updater (the Normal non-Extreme one)
> from Apple.
> 2. Shut down your computer and open the case to the Airport card slot.
> 3. Put the card in the AP slot and boot the computer while open.
> 4. Run the Airport updater and select the card.
> 5. When the updater is finished, shut down and take out the card.Now it
> has 128 WEP!

Will,

I am dense. Is the card being sold currently the correct one for the
Newton?

Next Question: My laptop predates the Airport card slot. (G3 Lombard)
Is there
a way to flash/upgrade without the Airport slot? I have access to an
iMac Flat
Panel, but the Lucent card does not look like it will fit in the iMac's
Airport slot,
with that built in antenna growth on the card.

Nancy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html