Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]Case Cracking from SER-001?

From: Antony Lawrence (alawrence_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 06:47:44 PDT

On 28/4/03 4:15 AM, "Dale Steele" <dtsteele_at_mac.com> wrote:

> My u2000 has developed a several inch long jagged crack on the
> underside of its case starting under the edge of the case at the
> SER-001. The crack wasn't there when I installed the unit some months
> back and I've just noticed it recently. I haven't dropped or
> otherwise stressed the unit as far as I know but I do carry it in an
> unpadded case every day on the bus etc.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? More importantly, are there any
> good tips to keep the crack from spreading farther or otherwise
> causing significant damage to the unit? I've done a full backup
> (partially successful like usual) to my 32 meg card and applied
> electrical tape to hold the crack together for now. I do have a
> backup unit but would rather not retire my trusty newton just yet...
>
> Any advice out there?
>
> Dale
> p.s. I am not a heavy user of the SER-001.

Hi there

I installed my ser-01 the other day, when putting my newt back together I
noticed that the clips that hold the casing together at the port end were
not holding as before. Even when I replaced the casing screws it was clear
that the ser-01 was causing an area of deflection to the casing. This was
predominately across the top of the serial socket.

I then took the newt apart again to investigate, I found that there was a
small spacer used on the ser-01 board where the second fixing screw is used
(in the area of the board connection).

I prised the spacer from the board and put it all back together (leaving the
second screw out).

The result is that all the casing clips locked together correctly and the
deflection over the serial socket is minimal and acceptable.

Hope this info helps anyone with similar problems.

Apart from that the ser-01 is a wonderful piece of kit thanks David

Tony (UK)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html