Re: [NTLK] PCMCIA Fax Modems for Newton?

From: George Bingham (george.bingham_at_newted.net)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 07:15:01 PDT

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 Peter Cameron wrote:
>However, after making some tests, I've gone back to using my Motorola
>Power 144 for both cell and landline. I checked various modems (28.8, 33.6
>and 56K) and didn't find much speed improvement over the Motorola 14.4. I
>think the Newton is the bottleneck here. The 14.4 also draws a lot less
>power.
>
>Peter

Aaaa,

Very good point! I did wonder if tne Newt could keep up with a 56K modem. I didn't think about the battery drain though.

Are any new lower power cards being made?
So far it sounds like the 14.4 might be my best bet. What about most modern ISPs? Do they still support connecting at these slower speeds?

Thanks all!

George

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html