Re: [NTLK] I'd rather get rid of gross polutters pre-1973, bu

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 13:04:28 PDT

Woo? I too have to disagree with you. I have a 1972
Cutlass with a 455ci engine (for you SAE handicaps,
that's 7.5 liters!
This machine pumps out over 525HP and over 650FT/lbs
of torque. It runs the quarter-mile at 11.2 seconds at
117mph (12 seconds at 110mph with the air conditioning
running and the top down) It pulls .91 in the slalom.
Yet, this pre-1973 vehicle that weighs over 3,800
pounds gets 19mpg highway driving and gets better
emmissions than my 1990 Jeep and my sister's '96 Honda
Prelude! (The custom fuel injection system and
under-hood supercharger <not to mention nitrous> helps
acheive these numbers)
And my car isn't uncommon!
The local group I belong to includes 1970 Chrysler 440
6-pack Chargers, 1970 Chevy 454 Chevelles, 1969 Olds
442, El Caminos plus others...not one vehicle
manufactured after 1972! None of these vehicles has
emmissions controls. No PCV, no EGR, no air-pumps, no
catylitic converters...no computers (except for mine
because the fuel injection uses a computer and O2
sensor). Yet they all pass emmissions with lower NOX
than our daily drivers...and we don't even drive these
machines every day! Plus they have twice the number of
cylinders and 3 times the displacement of our daily
drivers.
Unless you live in the deep rural america, I challenge
you to find a daily driver that gets poor emmissions
and is a pre 1973! You won't find any...
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)
http://economics.about.com/cs/macroeconomics/a/run_out_of_oil.htm

--- John Acuff <jacuff1_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 12:39 AM, Newtvana
> wrote:
>

> > On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 10:21 PM, Woo Lee
> wrote:
> >> I'd rather get rid of gross polutters pre-1973,
> but 'Hollywood'
> >> lobbied for
> >> and won the exemption. :-(
> >
> > Just FYI, I and my friends who are VW Karmann-Ghia
> enthusiasts (Not
> > Hollywood), were horrified when we heard about
> this bill. A flat-out
> > ban on pre-73 cars is a poor law. Consider the
> fact that these classic
> > cars are often better tuned than the average car,
> and (in my case)
> > actually passes DEQ standards of today.
> >
> > Also, the real number of pre-73 cars is miniscule.
> You could save more
> > pollution simply by having properly inflated tires
> and not using
> > studded tires until they're really needed.
> >

> Exactly! It's easy to point a finger at older cars,
> but the facts just
> don't support the claims that classic cars are a
> major source of
> pollution. We just had this same discussion on the
> Triumph Spitfire
> lists that I'm on. If we want to go after "gross
> polluters", lets go
> after the industries that buy air pollution
> "credits" so that they can
> circumvent the existing laws. If government really
> wants to improve air
> quality, lets eliminate that loophole and force
> these industries to
> meet existing standards. Why punish us classic car
> enthusiasts for the
> sins of others? Sorry Woo, this is one time I have
> to disagree with you!
>
> John (uses ToDo's to make parts shopping lists for
> my "fleet")
>
> 74 Triumph Spitfire Mk IV
> 68 Triumph GT6+
> 66 IH 1/2 Ton 4x4 PU
> 65 Ford Mustang 2+2
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"If the nation escalates to 'red alert', you will de assumed by athorities to be the enemy if you so much as venture outside your home."
 - Sid Caspersen, NJ's director of the office of counter-terrorism