Re: [NTLK] NewtyES (NES Emulator) Released!!!!

From: Eagan Rackley (eagix_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 20:09:50 PST

I'm replying to a few emails here:). There are only specific replies
after the first couple of paragraphs. Most of you may want to skip the
rest of the letter after the reply to Robert.

>>Awesome Eagan!
>>Ran it on my 2100 and couldn't believe my eyes, and I was sure that it
>>was a joke at first.

Thanks for testing it Robert! I was beginning to worry that maybe I
shouldn't have released it on April Fools Day after all! :D I had hoped
to offset all the sadness from Newton Quake that nearly every Newton
user I know had been fooled by:).

>Gameplay was really good and the speed blew me away! Can we expect a
>version where we can play two Newtons against each other (maybe over
>infrared?)
I was worried about that, but 15fps w/ frame skipping is the best we're
going to get on this display and still be able to see it:). It doesn't
look 1/2 bad on the Newton though! As far as two player action goes,
great idea! It is a definite possibility, but first I'll have to get two
Newton’s:). I'll include a list of planned features below.

>And for the trip down memory lane maybe a version of Tetris soon? (I
>know it exists for the Newt, but didn't look/feel the same as the one
>on my GameBoy way back when...)
Tetris is planned for when mapper one support is made available. Most
likely that will be with sound on the first official release.

And other questions about it not working: (It’s just boring
troubleshooting from here on out people)

>Sounds like fun, but when I unzip the download, the NewtyEs shows up as
>a .pkg.bin

Rod, try renaming it to just .pkg. I have no idea why it's being named
.bin, unless you're unzipping it under a Mac. (I develop on a PC using
Basilisk II for Newton development, and I zipped it up on my PC). You
might need to use PackType before you actually install the file. Maybe a
Mac guru can lend him a hand?

Also, for anyone trying to play NewtyES by just clicking on NewtyES,
that won't work right now!!! This is key, otherwise you'll just see the
"Step Code" button, and nothing else. You've got to click on the ROM
file in your Extras Tray (The wee picture of mario / smb1.pkg :) to get
it up and running. You'll know you've done the right thing when you see
the loading messages:).

Ok, and here is the schedule of the top 10 software development goals
from here on out:

1. Fix Mapper 0 bugs.
2. Fix CPU Core issues related to SMB1, and go through other various
mapper 0 games like bomerman, ice climber etc. to try and track more
bugs down.
3. Implement Mapper 1 Support. Then, subsequent mappers.
4. Implement Sound.
5. Make 1st Official release as freeware/shareware (haven't decided yet).
6. Implement proper input via PCMCIA joystick port card.
7. Ooooh, and add some on-screen controls.
8. Here is an important one, update palettes as the emulator runs on screen.
9. Here is the biggy, draw-something on the screen. This is a very
important feature, and
I'm making a note of it on my newton right
now....have..the..screen..draw..sumtiens... *scribble scribble*
*poof*...something...
There we go, and that brings us to the most important feature of all:
10. Happy April Fools Day :). I hope it was a good one.

If you got excited, don’t worry! Hopefully you will hear from me again
in the next few months! ^_~.

Warmest April Regards,

-Eagan Rackley
eagix_at_earthlink.net

P.S. Thanks for the help Robert!!!!!!!!! ^_~
P.P.S. I had actually intended to make a 'real' release today, but the
beast of a CPU core I wrote is giving me a real beating at the moment:).
So, I went for the prank instead:).

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html