Re: [NTLK] Package install "stalls" and keyboard question

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 08:07:55 PDT

> I'm using NCU in the Classic environment, and it often works well.
> Similarly, it often "stalls" out when installing big files. Do you have
> any idea why it would do this? I'm using a WaveLAN card, if that makes
> any difference.

As Laurent said, there are others of us who have experienced the same
failure. NCU + Classic + Appletalk + Wavelan = hangs in the middle of
package installs.

Last night, I worked around this by using NewtFTP to transfer the
packages from my OSX box (make sure "FTP Access" is enabled in the
Sharing System Preference pane and login using the same credentials you
supply when logging into the GUI.)

It worked fine, albeit slowly (thanks to NewtFTP's rather slow transfer
speed). No glitches, no hangs. Incidentally, you can also transfer .JPG
files this way to the Inbox for viewing with Newt'sCape.

-Jeremy

-
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | Americans practice different faiths
in
San Francisco, CA | churches, synagogues, mosques and
temples.
Internet: jbond_at_jameswhale.com | And many good people practice no
faith
Phone: 415-929-0297 | at all.
ICQ: 72267083 | -- George W. Bush, finally gets it
right
AIM: jeremybondsf | in his Easter Address of 2002