Re: [NTLK] Package install "stalls" and keyboard question

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 18:20:08 PDT

on 16/09/02 14:00, Ashley Campbell at awc2_at_buyclamsonline.com wrote:

> I'm using NCU in the Classic environment, and it often works well.
> Similarly, it often "stalls" out when installing big files. Do you have
> any idea why it would do this? I'm using a WaveLAN card, if that makes
> any difference.
>
> Also, I just got a keyboard and dongle which were working just fine for
> a couple of days. Today, though, I connected it and nada. I rebooted
> the Newton and that made no difference. I know the dongle is okay
> because the newt powers back up when I remove the device. I just got a
> SER-001 because I hate the interconnect port, so I'm hoping that that
> makes a difference. Has anyone had this happen before? I certainly hope
> the keyboard isn't broken.

A few people on the list have already reported that the WaveLan driver would
stall on large transfers, so it's not unheard of.

As for your keyboard, it is quite possible that one wire in the cable has
been cut off, so it doesn't work anymore. Try to carefully examine the
cable, specially next to the connector. I had to repair it right next to the
connector.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
careware /keir'weir/ n.: A variety of shareware for which either the author
suggests that some payment be made to a nominated charity or a levy directed
to charity is included on top of the distribution charge. Syn. charityware;
compare crippleware, sense 2.