Re: [NTLK] Flakey Keyboard help, please

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 14:43:19 PDT

More than likely, your dongle port is bad. If that's
the case, then give up. You *can* resolder the pads
(if you have the skill and equipment and the eyes and
the patience and etc...)but it's not worth it. This
port, once it's hosed, is no longer useful for
anything anylonger. repairs are temporary at
best...usually lasting 3-4 insertions before it's
broken again...This port is only anchored to the board
via pressure on two plastic dimples and solder on the
solder pads. Once these "plastic dimples" have been
rounded off, they will no longer keep the dongle port
aligned ever again.
Your only bet is the ser-001...really, it's worth it
for future serial connections!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- newton_at_7thfloormedia.com wrote:

> Hello fellow newtontalkers.
>
> I've been following the list for about 6 months now,
> starting with the
> purchase of a 2100u, and have a problem that would
> benefit from greater
> minds than mine (admittedly, that is a large gene
> pool!).
>
> I just acquired a keyboard that was not 100% (mini
> DIN-9 cable resoldered
> to the keyboard connector) and had it working for a
> few glorious moments
> after some repair work. However, the keyboard
> refused to work again after
> the newt went to sleep, and has failed to do so on
> all subsequent attempts.
>

> I've done all the obvious: reset, plugged and
> unplugged the newt with
> interconnect dongle plugged and unplugged, but no
> luck, set the carret in
> Notes and Works.
>
> I've also tested the keyboard on a Mac using Zterm
> and it will spit out
> it's special newt kbd identifier: d_id
> kybdapplnofm]g
>
> I was also able to get sloup to see it, and it when
> I used the keyboard
> connected via sloup, the keys were passing data.
>
> I'm guessing that the newt cable (and/or the dongle)
> are not 100% so that
> the keyboard identity is not being passed to the
> newt. Obviously, it is
> working with simple serial connections, and could
> probably be used with
> proper drivers on other devices such as Palm,
> Zaurus, etc.
>
> Any idea why this is happening?
>
> Thanks for any help/clues.
>
> blair

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party