Re: [NTLK] Sharing DSL Connection

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 21:44:30 PDT

on 04/09/02 00:26, Lallang_at_aol.com at Lallang_at_aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 09/04/2002 00:19:04, laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net writes:
>
>>> How prevalent is the problem with connections being dropped? Is it always
>>> the case regardless of distance to base station or only when far from
>> the
>>> base station? I'm eyeing a Proxim Orinoco Gold card to use with my Newton
>>> 2100 and an Airport Base Station (gray) instead of Appletalk via my old
>>> Farallon Etherwave connection. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Well, so far, I only tested from about 10 feet from the base station!
>>

> With clear line of sight and nothing that could obstruct the signal in the
> way? If so, that's not good.

It's pretty much clear line of sight. The base station is sitting on the top
of a shelf, but I can see it clearly where I sit. Yep, not very good...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
firebottle n.obs.: A large, primitive, power-hungry active electrical
device, similar in function to a FET but constructed out of glass, metal,
and vacuum. Characterized by high cost, low density, low reliability,
high-temperature operation, and high power dissipation. Sometimes mistakenly
called a `tube' in the U.S. or a `valve' in England; another hackish term is
glassfet.