[NTLK] Best battery tester? And funny battery behavior

From: beaumont jones (swlit2001_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 12:22:25 EST

Hi All:

My 2100 has been a bit cranky recently when it comes
to reinserting the battery tray. It works fine
generally but when I replace the (non-rechargeable AA)
batteries it won't turn until I take the tray out and
put it back in a few times. This last time I couldn't
get it to power up until I gave a little *squeeze* to
the bottom of the Newton. Now it's fine. Has anyone
had this trouble? I'm thinking there is some issue
with the contacts but I'm wondering how others have
solved this problem.

When it first happened I thought I somehow had mixed
up spent batteries with new ones, which leads to my
second question -- any recommendations for battery
testers? I just bought a cheapie tester from Radio
Shack (I must say I got some of the worst service from
possibly the least knowledgeable salespeople ever!)
and it is garbage. Batteries that don't light a
flashlight (and of course won't power the Newton) test
super strong.

Thanks!!

Seth