Re: [NTLK] Can I use a Stowaway keyboard?

From: Doug Parker (dougparker_at_progressdata.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 11:44:15 EST

...snip...

     http://www.splorp.com/newton/stowaway/protocol/

>Now, if someone would like to write a driver that
>translates the Stowaway protocol to Newton keyboard
>protocol, we'd be that much closer to cooking with gas.

What does it take to 1) write a driver (NewtScript, C++, assembler, ?), and
2) patch it into the NewtOS. IIRC, MacOS used to use some sort of dispatch
tables on interrupts kind of a thingy--I don't know what programming model
the Newton follows.

My other thought was to perhaps do the translation in HW through stamp or
PIC programming. Program a lookup table to do the translation on the fly
into the PIC: it comes in on one side of the PIC, does the translation
lookup, and shoves it out the other side to the Newt. 1-2-3. Power comes
from the serial cable(?). Does anyone else on the list play with PICs? My
practical experience with PIC programming is nil.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html