Re: [NTLK] List parents: virus filters???

From: Morgan Nichol (newton_at_the-monkey.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 01:22:09 EST

On 29 Oct 2002 at 23:26, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> on 29/10/02 22:47, Christopher Plummer at plumcakes_at_mac.com wrote:
>
> > I'm on another listserver that is being overrun with virii. The
> > admins seem to be helpless to stop it. On NTLK I never get a single
> > virus. What do you guys do on NTLK to stop the spread of virii on
> > this list? Spam is another problem on that particular list. The
> > next question would be: how come we don't get any spam here either?
>
> Easy: there are no attachment allowed with any message posted on the
> list. 2nd, the list of subscribers is probably very well hidden, not
> easily accessible by email address harvesters.

These are very good points, and even if they weren't true, these
would be significant factors:

Third, every Apple user on the list is one less user able to be
infected by the current crop of email viruses, I'm sure that this
list probably has a much higher proportion of Apple users than most
others.

Fourth, the most 'popular' email viruses these days usually re-send
themselves using many different email addresses from the 'victim's'
address book, not necessarily the victim himself - emails to this
list (appear to be) bounced if they're not from a member, hence
viruses sent in this way are bounced.

Regards,
             Morgan

--
Morgan Nichol      -      morgan_at_quirk.co.nz
09 3073 678         -      021 159 0736