Re: [NTLK] NCU and 10.2.1

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 12:12:27 EST

On 28/10/02 11:49, "bob barkany" <bob_at_barkany.com> wrote:

> Could someone please outline the definitive way to get appletalk working in
> 10.2.1 so that we can connect our newts to our machines using NCU.
> I would love to get it working in time for tomorrows London NUG meeting

You have to make sure that you have turned on AppleTalk in the current
network location that you're planning to use. Then, check to make sure that
the "AppleTalk ADSP Tool" is in the extensions folder of the system where
you run Classic from. Then, launch NCU, check the preferences and make sure
AppleTalk is enabled and serial is disabled. Finally, on the Newton, make
sure that AppleTalk is using your Ethernet card. That's all what you need to
do. OS X should set up everything automatically on the classic side.

-Laurent.

gorilla arm n.: The side-effect that destroyed touch-screens as a mainstream
input technology despite a promising start in the early 1980s. It seems the
designers of all those spiffy touch-menu systems failed to notice that
humans aren't designed to hold their arms in front of their faces making
small motions. After more than a very few selections, the arm begins to feel
sore, cramped, and oversized -- the operator looks like a gorilla while
using the touch screen and feels like one afterwards. This is now considered
a classic cautionary tale to human-factors designers; "Remember the gorilla
arm!" is shorthand for "How is this going to fly in real use?".