[NTLK] First time Newton user, new to the list

From: Scott Clitheroe (scott_at_clitheroe.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 22:24:42 EDT

Hi,

I'm new to this list, and the proud owner of a MessagePad 120, which I bought off of ebay. I've always wanted to try out a Newton, and finally I've got my chance. The unit I got from ebay is great - the screen has absolutely no scratches, and the case is in great shape as well. I think I already like it better than my Palm m100!

I have a few questions, and I was hoping that the list could help me out. If this kind of information is covered in a FAQ or website somewhere that I haven't found yet, just tell me to RTFM, and point me in the right direction.

So, here's my questions:
- the connect cable. Should I spring for one off of ebay, or use one of the wiring diagrams I've found on the net to either build one myself (I can solder fairly well), or get my local custom cable shop to make one? Are the diagrams on the net generally accurate?

- recommended software. Once I've got my cable, what are some of the "must have" or "killer" Newton apps that would run well on a 120? What apps do you folks love? How many apps can I reasonably expect to fit on the 120?

- 120 vs. the 2100's. How happy long term do you think I will be with the 120? If I'm happy right now with a Palm M100 (slow, only 2 meg of RAM), will the 120 stack up fairly favorably?

- durability. How durable/reliable are Newtons as a whole? If I commit to using the Newton full time as my primary PDA, should I consider getting a backup unit just in case?

Those are my questions at this point. Thanks for taking the time to read my first post to the list. I'll definitely continue to follow the posts here, and soak up as much information as I can. I suspect I have a long way to go :)

Thanks,
Scott