Re: [NTLK] Is any one going to bid on the WALT tablet?

From: Richard Brauer (rbrauer_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 17:09:14 EDT

On Friday, October 25, 2002, at 02:59 PM, Jeff Sheldon
<jeff_at_jurai.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Josh Hillmann wrote:
>
>> Is anyone on NewtonTalk going to bid on the WALT tablet?
>
> That's a good question. It's tempting, but I'm still convinced that
> this
> is a re-engineered PowerBook with a "Newton Technologies" touch screen.
> I don't know if it's worth it, at least to me.
>
> If they could scan a few pages of that manual somehow, that would
> greatly
> influence probably most people on here. A photo of what's behind the
> access panel would be nice too since the device doesn't look large
> enough
> to house a harddrive from that era along with a motherboard.

I have to agree. The screen size, the flashing disk, the wired stylus
with a button. And, the AC adapter is a dead ringer for the one from a
PB 1xx series.

And, of course, there's the timing. IIRC, the OMP came out in 8/93. If
this is copyright '93, it seems really fast to have inked a deal with
BellSouth to develop a NewtonOS based machine. Seems more likely that
they would have used something like a modified PowerBook design with
some touchscreen additions. The wiring of the stylus and the button
would suggest that the touchscreen isn't very advanced.

My 1.5 cents,
Rich