Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #721

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 16:26:56 EDT

On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 03:15 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:28:19 -0400
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] clie (OT)
> From: Richard Brauer <rbrauer_at_mindspring.com>
> Sorry to continue something off-topic, but a serious albeit random
> question:

I guess I'm no better than you are, but...

> Can someone explain to me why all these PDA companies are including
> keyboards and then using the QWERTY design? It seems essentially
> impossible to use touch-typing, particularly given that they're
> designed for the thumb, so why are they using a design originally
> intended to slow the user down and lives on solely for touch typists?

Another reason for the QWERTY layout is to distribute the keys in a
pattern that uses both hands equally. Can you imagine if all of the
common letters were on one side? One of your hands (or thumbs) would
start getting tired!

-Andrew