Re: [NTLK] Some JaneHead doesnt know how the recent viri seem to work.was Re: VIRUS ALERT

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 18:22:51 EDT

Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net) wrote:

> The Latin root for "man" is "vir". It has nothing whatsoever to do with
> "virus", but it is the origin of such words as virile and virtue. "Viri"
> is the nominative plural of "vir". Viri is a collection of men or
> husbands.

According to my dictionary of classical Latin, the plural of "virus" is
in fact "viri", and it appears that the Oxford Latin Dictionary also
states that "viri" is the correct plural form, although it was rarely
used. That "viri" also happens to be the nominative plural of "vir"
implies nothing, of course.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de