Re: [NTLK] Some JaneHead doesnt know how the recent viri seem to work.was Re: VIRUS ALERT

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 15:20:25 EDT

* "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net> on Sat, 12 Oct 2002
| Is that supposed to imply that the root for "husband" is where we get
| 'virile', or where we get 'virus'??? Geez, there's grist for the
| feminists... :-)

The Latin root for "man" is "vir". It has nothing whatsoever to do with
"virus", but it is the origin of such words as virile and virtue. "Viri"
is the nominative plural of "vir". Viri is a collection of men or
husbands.

The plural of virus in classic Latin is virus. In English it is viruses.
But the meanings are radically different; classic Latin virus means "slime";
usuage is similar to "air" in English.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container and