Re: [NTLK] I vant AvantGo!

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 16:55:06 EDT

On Friday, October 11, 2002, at 07:56 , Ed Kummel wrote:

> So,
> since the Newt was never a member of this Avantgo
> system, there is no configuration in the avantgo
> server to re-map pages to the Newton screen/OS. So, it
> won't happen...

A bit more info on that: when I last looked at the AvantGo format,
it was basically a stripped-down version of HTML 3.2 which the
Newton would definitely understand. The problem is more fetching
the channels from the AvantGo server. But since the protocol is
more or less open and source code is available for Unix, I wouldn't
rule out a port to MacOS X or even the Newton. This could be a
starting point:

http://www.tomw.org/malsync/

But I prefer RSS over AvantGo since it's open and most of the news
sites are either directly or indirectly available as RSS channels.

Eckhart