Re: [NTLK] NewtStumbler?

From: Dr. Faustus (dr_faustus_at_pcisys.net)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 16:53:04 EDT

At 07:58 AM 10/11/2002 -0400, Harlan Feinstein wrote:

> Andy> I have a question about the wireless support on the newton. Do
> Andy> the drivers allow the card to go in to an ad-hoc mode? Is it
> Andy> even possible with how the newton handles the connection (I'm
> Andy> trying to come back to speed from my old 110 six years ago).
> Andy> Has anybody made an application like "Netstumbler" on the newt?
>
>There's a setting for it in the driver. I don't know anyone who uses
>ad-hoc mode, so no way for me to test it. I'm not even sure how an
>ad-hoc mode network would reach the internet.
>
>--Harlan

It's not for reaching the internet immediately. It's more for find out
what wireless networks are alive in range, and their settings. After you
get those settings you can use them to access that network. This would be
nice when you are downtown someplace and want internet access, but don't
have a cell phone modem. As long as the host network was configured to hit
the internet, and didn't have too restrictive of a firewall, you'd be on
your way.

Hit google with "wardriving" and all will be revealed.

Andy