Re: [NTLK] Web Browsing - I'm almost there...

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 11:26:27 EDT

<nice success story snipped>

I'm a little over six months into owning a 2000u, after having bought an
original Messagepad when it first came out. At the time, we sold our NeXT
computer to get in on the PDA revolution. I came back to the platform when I
realized how much I missed it. Amazing how much Newt can do 5 years after
launch.

> WEB BROWSING IS TOO SLOW! I can connect to a DSL
> router with both wired and wireless Ethernet cards and
> load a web page but it takes forever and seems to max
> out before finishing the page load. I suspect it's a
> memory and cache issue.

It may be that you have only a partially compatible ATA cards - one of the
symptoms is a very poor performance when writing to the card. This could be
your problem.

Try loading a page each time with a different store. First, set the internal
as the default store, and try loading. Then try the CF flash card as default
and load again.

I find Web browsing a little slow regardless, so I'd have to say that the
best feature of Newtscape is it's scheduling. I've built a custom web page
for getting news with good "avant-go" like pages. Then I just set up
Newtscape to go and get all the pages while I'm doing other work. Very nice!
Since these are mostly text articles, I then batch process them to NewtWorks
to read them. This greatly reduced time spent waiting for pages to load.

hth,