Re: [NTLK] Power adaptors....radio shack?

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 12:52:45 EDT

on 10/6/02 11:40 AM, Jesse Rosen at jester_at_macconnect.com wrote:
> Do you mean that the Newton would draw more than 1.2A (=9W_at_7.5V) if it
> was available?
    The Newton power supply is very precisely voltage regulated. Many third
party adapters are not and will supply more voltage that is specified. 7.5V
(and 1.5A) is the maximum the Newton circuitry should be given. It will take
more, but by the time the temperature cutoff in the battery pack hits the
50-55 C breaker point your Newton could be quite fried. I believe this has
happened to some people on the list (I'm sure "puff of smoke" has come up
more than once).

    Here is the reference to the FAQ section on power adapters.
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB7

    Considering the value of a Newton an extra $20 for the proper adapter
over a Radio Shack model doesn't seem like a lot.

Peter