Re: [NTLK] Trying out the ATA driver with a Toshiba 5GB hard drive

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 18:50:25 EDT

>No, it didn't work. And I didn't expect it to. But it was fun trying!
> Went down to CompUSA and convinced them to let me insert the $400
>Type-II 5V PCMCIA Toshiba 5GB hard drive (the same beast inside the
>IPod I believe) into my Newton. Got back a -10579 error. Hey, the
>thing draws 2W at 5V peak, so that's 400ma, which is about what the
>wireless card draws. And I believe it's a real 16-bit PCMCIA, not a
>32-bit CardBus, should it was plausible, no?

It is very probably a 16-bit PCMCIA. -10579 is an error code from the
ROM Built-in non working ATA driver (kError_ATA_Busy). If it was used
it's that ATA Support was either not installed or didn't recognize
the card.

On the contrary to cards that have an unusual transfer rate or -10606
errors, there is no guarantee that ATA Support will work with this
drive. It might work in True IDE mode only which the PCMCIA
controller cannot work in.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/