Re: [NTLK] Newton keyboard questions

From: Doug Parker (dougparker_at_progressdata.com)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 15:46:14 EDT

>For example in Notepad, you can create a new note with
>a shortcut, but in order to start writing you have to pick up the pen and
>tap in the newly created note. The caret doesn't automatically appear in a
>new note.

I haven't had time to play with mine
enough yet, but maybe a few questions
will jog something loose. :-)

In prefs > Handwriting recognition >
Options > Test Editing Settings, there's
a toggle for "Insert new words at caret".
I'm wondering if deselecting that option
also disables the need for the caret to
have to display in order to begin typing.

I'm also using BackDrop Plus. There's a
quick-note feature that brings up a new
note that by default files itself into
the unfiled folder when you close it.
Again, I haven't played around with it
enough yet, but maybe that implementation
might let you open-n-type at once. YMWV. ;-)

>There is no way to navigate word-by-word or jump to the beginning
>or end of a line. There's no way to make boilerplate text by keystroke. All
>minor things that would make editing text with a keyboard faster and more
>useful.
>
>In general, I find that I end up picking up the pen much more often than I
>would like to tap some interface item that can't be accessed from the
>keyboard.

Maybe it's time for a Newton programmer
to create some new soups.

Doug