Re: [NTLK] WTB: Newton for my wife

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 03:58:13 EDT

"J. Eagan Rackley" <jrackley_at_electronicbingo.com> wrote:

(*snip*)

> Well well well!
>
> My naysayer of a wife who made fun of my Newton at first has now
decided
> that she definately wants one!

Mine too ... I was going to give her my 120, but as soon as I agreed
to do so, it died. :o\ Bought her a 130; hope it works as well as
the 120 did (that is, BEFORE it croaked ....).

> While I can't afford to get her one as nice as mine, I do have about
$75
> to spend on her (as a surpise). Does anyone have an OS 2.0 newton
(130
> or 2000) for sale for around that price?

Why not check eBay? A quick search just now revealed an upgraded 2000
going for $99 ... they also have one going for $75. No flash memory,
no power adapter, no modem, natch. I once even saw one going for $59
(all prices are Buy It Now(tm) prices).

> Also, from a planning and handwriting standpoint, will my wife be
> disappointed by a 130 after she has seen my 2100?

Most likely ... :o)

> How about the RAM in a 130, will it be enough day to day uses, or is
it
> too little to really work with?

My 120 was fine for daily use for me ... but I didn't really use it
for much. Shortly after I got it, I got an eMate (wish my eMate had a
166MHz chip in it ....). I then transferred all the dates and etc.
from the 120 to the eMate (by hand, if you're curious; not hard if you
type fast .....).

> Finally, last but not least, would I be better off getting her an
older
> backlit palm pilot if my only option is a 130?

Nope. She's got the bug, so you might as well feed it. Or, to put it
another way: would YOU like to work with Palm's hwr?

Lastly (but not 'leastly'), if your wife wants a Newton, you get more
points for getting her one, right ...? (An old marriage trick ....)
... and even more points if you get her a 2100.

> Many thanks!

Welcome ...! Hope you have access to eBay US.

--gdw