Re: [NTLK] ATA and Sandisk again

From: TT Mooney (ttmooney_at_dilettantism.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 16:32:55 EDT

hi blair --

i also get a -10059 with my 'Mr. Flash' smartmedia adapter and
olympus-branded cards and have developed a work-around that seems to be
100%.

first of all, if i start the newt with the card in, everything seems to
be fine. however, if i remove the card (either the sm card or the
pcmcia adapter) i get a -10059 every time i reinsert it (or a different
sm card).

in frustration, i popped my ethernet card into the same socket the
memory card had been in. my lucent 802.11 card was in the left slot.
the ethernet card was recognized, i ejected it and put the memory card
back in. bang, it works.

as i understand it, the cf 3.3v cards should be more or less the same,
technically, as the 3.3v sm cards. give the work-around a try and see
what happens.

best of luck.

travis

On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, at 01:15 PM, Blair Rosser wrote:

> Some people on the list have had success with Sandisk CF cards and
> adapters.
>
> I'm not so lucky. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if my
> config is causing problems. I have tried any number of Sandisk CF
> cards (all
> I have access to right now), and they all give me one of 3 errors
> depending
> on which slot I put them in.
>
> In the left PC card slot, I get a -10059 error when the card is
> inserted,
> regardless of whether the prefs slip is open or not.
>
> In the right slot, I get a "this card is write protected" or a "this
> card is
> unrecognized" error.
>
> Paul has told me that the card is not compatible yet, so I should take
> it at
> that, but my hopes are up based on reports of other Sandisk cards
> working.
>
> It seems like this may have something to do with a soup entry that is
> making
> the card appear unusable when it might be after all.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Blair

******
"I return to the words of Bill Hicks when he said, 'If any artist ever
endorses a product then they have completely destroyed their status as
an artist.' I don't care if they shit Mona Lisas on cue, they've
destroyed their reputations, and advertising for the Government is much
more pernicious." --Will Self