[NTLK] My Newt came.. with a surprise

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 18:53:46 EDT

   Well, I don't have to worry about filing charges against
PhillyDiscounters, because my new UMP2K came today. Completely
pristine, with only a couple of scratches I added opening it up putting
the Ser-001 in (those !#@$ tabs!)

   I also found a surprise: the Newt was apparently used last by Astra
Merck with a custom app on it for tracking drug testing - with data
STILL ON IT! I just cannot believe that they didn't wipe the data off
(actually I can - after seeing the investigative report on the local
news last week about hard drives in computers given to charity that
hadn't been wiped of all sorts of sensitive data.) I couldn't find any
time-stamps on the data (at least without using ViewFrame), but the app
says 1997.

   Now my question is: should I just get rid of this and stay quiet, or
should I tell phillydiscounters that he should wipe the newts he has
left before he sells them, or perhaps tell someone in the government? (I
can smell a class-action suit against Merck here)

Jim