[NTLK] 'real' speed comparison of note taking on MP130, MP2x00

From: Donald Winiecki (DWINIECKI_at_boisestate.edu)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 13:39:14 EDT

I'm the owner of an MP120 (OS2), MP2000 (upgraded) and eMate (not upgraded). The speed and additional functionality of the MP2000 are obviously nice things to have. The size of the MP120 is also very nice — even preferable in some cases.

My primary use of the MP is for taking notes 'in the field,' which are then transferred to a desktop computer for further elaboration (I'm a sociologist ethnographer). I don't make substantial use of the additional features in OS2.1 and the size of an MP2000 is just less than comfortable while the MP120 is about right (whereas the speed of my MP120 is pitiful when compared to the MP2000).

I've made a cursory check of available FAQs and have not found a satisfactory answer to the following:

How fast is the MP130 when compared to an MP2000 for note taking (converting cursive writing to text)? If I purchased a used MP130 would I be satisfied with the speed of cursive to text conversion? Also, how is the MP130's speed when typing through a Newton keyboard?

(Note that I'm not willing to separate from my MP2000... I just installed Dave Humphreys' SER-001 and highly recommend it for those who work 'in the field' with a keyboard!)

_don

Don Winiecki, Ed.D., Associate Professor
Boise State University, College of Engineering
Department of Instructional & Performance Technology
E-mail: dwiniecki_at_boisestate.edu
WWW: http://coen.boisestate.edu/dep/ipt.htm
Telephone: (01) 208 426 1899