Re: [NTLK] hello omp

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 16:40:16 EDT

On 23/05/02 12:02, "scOtty teCHnoir" <ticknor_at_punkass.com> wrote:

> I grabbed an omp from ebay for a good price, and it arrived this
> morning. Kinda fun to fool around with, not sure how useful it will be
> just yet :) but I was hoping for a couple pointers to get me started.
> Firstly, I've been trying to scrounge up some battery info. The newt
> came with a wee black thingy labeled Newton Rechargeable Battery, but
> alas there is nothing _inside_ of it, it's just a shell. Can anything be
> done for this or do I need to find another battery cage? I found an
> online shop [via the ntlk archives] and they have the cages for a buck
> [styli too], but their min order is $10..grr. anywhere else to check?
> the newt lacks the stylus as well.
> Also, since this is the OMP, I am gaining an appreciation for the many
> jokes regarding text input. The HWR engine seems a lot different that
> rosetta! It seems to morph any unfamiliar words into whatever it sees
> fit! Is there a known, efficient method for training this beast?
> How about software? Is there a good backdrop app, or any indispensable
> pkgs I should be grabbing from unna?
> Anyway, it sure is a pretty little thing..love the shape and size. I am
> optimistic about getting to do...something!

Scott,

If I was you, I would just put it on a shelf on display in your house
somewhere, but a mention that this was created in 1993.

It looks from your description that someone did take out the rechargeable
cells that were in the rechargeable holder. These used to be AAA cells, with
very short life. There were regular battery cages as well that you could
get, but I have no idea where you could find them. Considering the problems
that people have getting their hands on MP2x00 battery, when you think that
the MP2000 cames almost 4 years after the original MP, it's easy to see that
those battery cages are probably very hard to find these days.

-Laurent.

brain dump n.: [common] The act of telling someone everything one knows
about a particular topic or project. Typically used when someone is going to
let a new party maintain a piece of code. Conceptually analogous to an
operating system core dump in that it saves a lot of useful state before an
exit. "You'll have to give me a brain dump on FOOBAR before you start your
new job at HackerCorp." See core dump (sense 4). At Sun, this is also known
as `TOI' (transfer of information).