[NTLK] Solved: Option PC Card and GSM fax problems

From: Simon Roberts (srob_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 09:41:37 EDT

A couple of weeks ago, I had a problem getting my Option 56K/GSM PC card,
Nokia 6110 and MP2K1 to successfully send faxes. Well I found out what the
problem was.

Just in case, someone else has this problem (unlikely perhaps), it was
nothing to do with the Newton, PC card, the phone or the configuration of
any of them! It was caused by both of the fax machines that I tried sending
to being connected, indirectly, to ISDN lines and that the device data was
configured incorrectly.

Whereas a real, standalone, fax machine had no problem connecting to these
other machines, it seems that a fax connection over GSM demands that the
"device type" of the ISDN to analogue converter is set to "fax" ("telephone"
or "neutral" will not do).

Anyway, on my recent trip, I was able to fax to my heart's content.

A special thank you to Roman Pixell for posting his modem script.

Regards,

Simon