Re: [NTLK] nokia cardphone and newton

From: richard_at_cyberphotographer.com
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 14:33:25 EDT

> >A brand new device is the Option Globetrotter GSM PC Card that does work=
 in
>900/1800/1900MHZ and supports GPRS, HSCSD, CSD. Anybody tested this
>device in a
>Newton (http://www.option.com/trotter.htm)? It is even smaller than a Nokia
>Card Phone 2.0...

Looked at Nokia CardPhone 2 today in shop (uk). Newton said "a
communications card has been inserted". I hit the phone icon in names
and after a few seconds got an alert saying "no dial tone" since
there was no simcard in the card phone. Looks like it should work
well with Newton. I was told that a basic Orange account would give
me 14.4k and the high speed extra would give me 28.8 and the card
would cost =A380. The card does stick out quite a bit though, and the
aerial looked ominously breakable. However, the card would not work
with my existing account (T-Mobile). One thing I couldn't work out
was whether it was going to use the MP2100 speaker and microphone for
when you forget the headphones.

The trotter looks even better - lower profile, better aerial design,
and works with T-Mobile and 1900MHz too. That means I could even use
it in the USA. A list of supported networks is at
http://www.option.com/operators1.pdf. Although I can't see it in the
flesh, I am tempted to just buy one and give the list a full report
but am just a bit too skint right now: it's $359.